Art & Design
To develop and extend the children’s skills
To provide an opportunity to express the children’s individual interests, thoughts and ideas.
To develop a love of art and design
The national curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
The teaching and implementation of the Art and Design Curriculum at BAWB is based on the National Curriculum and supported by the Access Art exemplar curriculum and progression, ensuring a well-structured approach to this creative subject.
The children are taught art and design for half a term during each term. In both key stages the children’s learning will focus on a local, national or global artist or craftsperson, who has been inspirational in their chosen field. More detail can be found in our Long Term plans.
The children’s learning is further enhanced with collaborative work. Recently this has seen the children in KS2 work with members of the local community on a Loving Earth project and all children in our federation creating a section of an art installation planned for each of the three schools.
Through the delivery of the art and design planning the children will:
- Work towards achieving age related expectations within the subject.
- Understand the importance and relevance of art and design in their local area as well as globally.
- Have a greater understanding of art and design, in terms of medium, application and artists and craftspeople.
- Have an enjoyment and a genuine interest in the subject which enables them to carry out their own research and make their own preferences.
For more information about DT and art, please contact our subject leader:
Mrs Rebecca Alderson (based at West Burton): email@example.com
Click on the image to see our long-term overview